What is the difference between an ARF (Adult Residential Care Facility) and an RCFE (Residential Care Facility for the Elderly)?
The main difference between the two is the age of the residents. ARFs are for adults between the ages of 18 to 59 with disabilities and/or are unable to live by themselves. RCFEs are specifically for the elderly those aged 60 and older.
What are the requirements to become an RCFE Administrator?
To become a certified RCFE Administrator, you must:
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Have a high school diploma or GED.
- Complete the 80 hour Initial Certification Training Program.
- Pass the State proctored exam of 100 questions, with a 70% pass rate and a $100 registration fee.
- Pass a criminal background check.
- Pay $110 to the State of California for the RCFE Administrator application.
Do you have an Initial Certification Training Program (ICTP)?
Yes. We have an initial staff training program (ICTP) for RCFE facilities, not ARFs. But we do offer continuing education, as well as an annual staff training program for both RCFEs and ARFs.
What will I learn in the ICTP?
The ICTP teaches you the Core of Knowledge standards set by California regulations. There are 13 sections:
- Laws & Regulations
- Business Operations
- Psychosocial & Physical needs of the Elderly
- Community & Support Services
- Medication Management
- Admission & Retention
- Alzheimer’s & Dementia
- Physical Environment
- Resident Rights
- Cultural Competency
- Postural Supports & Hospice
What do I do after completing the RCFE Administrator class?
After you’ve completed the ICTP, it’s time to study-up for the exam! As for registering for the exam, you can find more information on that on the California Department of Social Services’ website.
Once you’ve passed the exam, you must submit the completed initial administrator application packet within 30 days to the ASC. The packet must include:
- A completed and signed LIC 9214 form.
- A check or money order for $110.
- A copy of your Certificate of Completion of the ICTP.
- A completed and signed LIC 508 Criminal Record Statement.
- A copy of your completed LIC 9163 Request for Live Scan form.
- A copy of your extension approval letter, if applicable.
The above information was pulled from CDSS’, “How to Become a Certified Administrator,” PDF, which can be found here.
How long is my RCFE Administrator certificate valid for?
Upon passing the state exam, your Administrator certificate is valid for 2 years.
What if I get interrupted before I complete a course?
No worries! TalentLMS saves your progress. All you have to do is close the class, and you’re good to go! As long as you don’t clear your cookies or browser history, TalentLMS saves where you were in the class. When you want to continue, you are free to pick up where you left off at a later time.
I’m looking for an RCFE for my loved one, is there a placement agency I can use?
We do offer a placement agency! However, if we are not in your location you can research at the National Placement & Referral Alliance.
Ready to get started?
Facilities gain access to exclusive training content, industry information, and discounts. As you grow your team, we help keep your staff certified, current, and fully trained. Become a member today!